Monday, July 10, 2006

The "Dancing" Candle and the "Garland"

I suppose that nothing could inspire visions more than the death of a loved one.

My mother Barbara recently passed away (March 28, 2006 - the day after her seventieth birthday). I kept her memorial cards (from her funeral) near the head of my bed on my night-table with a "Safe-T" candle lit 24 hours a day as a devotion to her memory. I have since turned off the "Safe-T" candle (it is a battery-powered light shaped like a small candle).

The first or second night of her death, I awoke in the middle of the night and looked for her devotional candle light. It was not where I had placed it. I looked down at the opposite end of my night table and saw the light of the candle down there. I looked back at the head end of my night table and then the candle appeared to have moved back up there. I went back to a fitful, disturbed sleep and awoke again. I looked for the devotional candle a second time - and it had appeared to move again to the opposite end of my night-table (!). I looked back at the head end of my table and there was the candle again. I do not know nor recall how many times this happened that night. I am sure no one was in my room other than myself - how else could the candle move back to its original position while I was awake and watching for it? Since that the night the candle (lit or unlit) does not appear to have moved at all.

The night of the "dancing" candle episode, I had occasion to get up and use the bathroom. As I passed my late mother's living room, I looked at the couch she had been using previous to her death. She occupied that couch almost 24 hours a day for several months just prior to her death. At the opposite end of the couch which she occupied, I noticed something that looked like a pale ribbonous (sic?) garland hanging over it. As quickly I had spotted this vision, it had disappeared and has not returned. I checked my eyes in the bathroom mirror to be sure that I nothing in them to interrupt nor disrupt my vision in the dark or the light.

Were these true and profound supernatural occurences? Did my late mother have anything to do with these visions? Or were the visions hallucinations - simple hallucinations or the result of my grief and disturbance over the recent death of my mother? Will I ever know in this life? Will I know in the next life (assuming, I, we all have one of course)?

No comments: